Town Clerk & Tax Collector

-A A +A

The Tax Collector’s office is responsible for the billing and collecting of all taxes, interest and penalties due to the Town, including, but not limited to, Property Tax, Yield (Timber) Tax, Excavation (Gravel) Tax, and Land Use Change Tax

In Springfield, Property Tax bills are issued twice a year – usually in June and December.

Yield Tax, Excavation Tax and Land Use Change Tax bills are issued as they are assessed.

Springfield does not accept online payments or credit cards; taxes can be paid in person at the Tax Collector’s Office or via mail using check, money order or cash.

In Springfield the Town Clerk position is combined with the Tax Collector position.  This position is elected and serves a three year term.  Springfield also has an appointed Deputy Town Clerk/Tax Collector to assist the Town Clerk in performing their duties.

The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for:

  • Motor Vehicle Registration
  • Dog Licensing
  • Vital Records (Births, Deaths, Marriages and Divorce Decrees)
  • Elections and Voter Information, including registrations and absentee ballots
  • Recording and managing official Town documents such as meeting minutes

The Springfield Town Clerk does not accept online or credit card payments.

All payments must be made by check or cash.


Motor Vehicle Registration

 You always start at the Town Clerk’s Office!

If the vehicle was purchased from a NH dealer, take the blue town clerk’s copy of the Title Application (TDMV 23A), along with proof-of-residency, to the Town Clerk’s Office.

If the vehicle was purchased through a private sale and is a titled (RSA 261:4) vehicle (1999 or newer), bring the properly assigned title, a bill of sale, along with proof-of-residency, to the Town Clerk’s Office.

If it is a title exempt (RSA 261:3) vehicle, (older than 2000) the bill-of-sale is required instead of the title. You will also need to submit a previously issued NH registration, a valid NH, or out of state title or a completed TDMV 19A.  A photocopy of the previously issued NH registration or title is acceptable.  Submit the bill-of-sale, along with proof of residency, to the Town Clerk’s Office.

The Town Clerk’s Office does not accept credit or debit cards at this time.

You will need your old registration in order to transfer plates and/or any funds remaining – Do NOT give your old registration away except to the town clerk or DMV.



Vital Records
Births, Marriages, Divorces, Deaths

Request forms are available below, at the Town Clerk’s Office or under the ‘Forms’ section of this website.

First copy issued at $15.00 each; each additional copy is $10.00 issued at the same time for the same record.  Please make checks payable to: Town of Springfield.

Requests for vital records cannot be processed via online, fax or by phone.

If you are unable to come into the Town Clerk’s office to obtain the record, your request must be made by mail please include a photocopy of your drivers license with the request. In most cases, requests are processed and mailed out the same day they are received, but please remember our office is open Monday-Wed (9-12,1-4) Thurs (9-12, 1-8).

Incomplete vital record requests will be returned to sender for missing item(s) thereby delaying the receipt of the document you are requesting.


Marriage Licenses

If you’re getting married anywhere in New Hampshire, you may obtain your Marriage License in any New Hampshire city or town.

To obtain your Marriage License in Springfield, you and your fiancée must come into the Town Clerk’s office, during normal business hours, with photo identification (driver’s license, passport, etc.) In addition, if either of you were married before, proof must be provided of the divorce or death of the former spouse. If the former marriage was dissolved by divorce, the State requires that we see the sealed final divorce decree. If the spouse was deceased, we will need to view a certified copy of the death certificate.

You and your fiancée will complete a worksheet that will be used by the Town Clerk’s office in preparing the Marriage License. You will need to know full names of your parents, their state or country of birth, etc.

The entire process takes approximately 20-30 minutes. Please plan accordingly. Cost: $50


Dog Registration and Licensing

NH law (RSA 466:1) requires that all dogs must be licensed annually. Every owner or keeper of a dog 4 months old or over shall license it in the city of town where the dog is kept. Regardless of when the license is obtained, the license shall be effective from May 1 of each year to April 30 of the subsequent year.

If over 3 Months Old – Dogs must be licensed by April 30th   

Dog Licenses are available at the Town Clerk’s Office.

License Fee Schedule

$9.00 Male or Female

$6.50 Neutered or Spayed

$6.50 Puppies (3-7 mos. old)

$2.00 Owner Over 65 Years of Age

$25.00 Forfeit Fee if not licensed by June 1st (RSA 466:13)

Proof of current rabies vaccination is required before a license can be issued.

Late fees will be assessed for any dog not licensed by the April 30th deadline.

Absentee Ballots

Eligibility Requirements: 

RSA 657:1    Absence, Religious Observance, and Disability Absentee Voting. Any person who is absent on the day of any state election from the city, town, or unincorporated place in which he or she is registered to vote; or who cannot appear in public on any election day because of his or her observance of a religious commitment; or who is unable to vote there in person by reason of physical disability may vote at such elections as provided in this chapter. A person who is unable to appear at any time during polling hours at his or her polling place because an employment obligation requires the person to remain physically at work or to be in transit to or from work from the time the polls open until after the time the polls close shall be considered absent for purposes of this chapter.

Absentee ballot request forms are available at the Town Clerk’s office, this form must be filled out and submitted prior to receiving a ballot.

Syndicate content